NATURA 70 is a cage-free aviary system for egg production developed by Big Dutchman. The design concept is based on the idea of reducing the management effort while reliably increasing efficient production at the same time. After the birds have been moved in, the system remains locked for a short time. The pullets can thus familiarise themselves with the new environment.
Feed and water are easy to reach. Using the stairways, the pullets quickly become accustomed to all three levels of the aviary. Fixed partitions installed every 2.41 m (after every section) make for manageable group sizes of up to 176 birds. This ensures that all nests are used from the very beginning. Nipple drinkers right in front of the nest encourage the hens to lay their eggs inside the nest.
After the familiarisation phase, the system is opened fully. Perches in front of the openings help the hens reach the scratching area. They are now able to act out their natural behaviours, i.e. scratching, pecking and dust bathing.
- the aviary remains locked during the phase of familiarisation: the pullets can easily find feed and water;
- manageable group sizes created by fixed partitions inside the system ensure that the pullets have a good start into the laying phase, with few mislaid eggs;
- using the system’s “stairways”, the hens can move between the different levels of the aviary without any difficulties;
- the hens can easily reach the scratching area through large openings along the entire length of the system;
- the longitudinal egg belts are located on just one level for a gentle transport of the eggs;
- mislaid “system eggs” can be collected easily, either manually or automatically;
- perfect access to the entire system due to easily operated folding grilles is attained;
- each row is completely functional on its own: systems of only one row in the barn are possible.