Manure Pit Systems
Whichever type of alternative layer management you select: we have the right product for you! Good housing equipment must consist of carefully considered and coordinated individual components: feed and water supply, nests, perches, manure removal and climate control systems. This is a central prerequisite for healthy hens and a high laying performance.
Our modern manure pit systems are very animal-friendly and easy to monitor, and they can be fitted into the majority of barns.
Colony 2+ group laying nest
The correct laying nest plays an important role when looking for economic success. Reducing the number of misplaced, dirty and cracked eggs is crucial for this goal. Depending on the house layout, Big Dutchman nests are available with one or two tiers and as wall or double nests.
- short rolling-off distances for the eggs → excellent egg quality → smooth transfer to the egg belt
- clever nest design with folding roof → easy nest inspection → easy cleaning → no hidden corners for mites
- divided, tilting nest floor → eggs left in the nest automatically roll off towards the egg belt when the nest closes
- the tilting floor closes the nest after the laying period → dirt of the day drops off the nest insert → the nest remains clean → low percentage of dirty eggs
- nest depth of 53 cm → 153 hens per tier in wall nests → 305 hens per tier in double nests
To improve hygiene inside the house, part of the house should be used as a manure pit and equipped with slats. With both drinker and feed lines located above the manure pit, this is also the area where the majority of the droppings is deposited.
All manure is stored in the manure pit for the entire laying phase. After the batch, the manure pit is dismantled so the manure can be removed from the house.
The plastic flooring designed by Big Dutchman is ideally suited for laying hens.
- exceptionally high hygiene due to the smooth surface;
- secure foothold for the hens;
- small surface area for good manure penetration, the slats stay clean for the entire batch;
- no contact surface between the slats → for easy and thorough cleaning → no hotbeds for mites and other vermin;
- no sharp edges or corners, i.e. reduced risk of injury;
In addition to the plastic slats, Big Dutchman can also offer a metal slat. This metal slat is mainly used in fully-slatted houses that are equipped with a manure removal system, e.g. a manure scraper below the slats.
Metal slats are heavier than plastic slats but easy to clean, even when still installed. Dismantling the manure pit is thus not necessarily required when using metal slats.
A-frame perches made of metal
Modern manure pit barns are equipped with A-frames to be able to offer the required amount of perches. Big Dutchman can provide the A-frames 3000 and 5800. They are made of metal and the ideal choice both for manure pit and fully-slatted houses. Hens naturally like to perch in a high place at night. Our simple A-frames provide a raised resting area and can also easily be combined with feed and drinker lines.
The A-frame 3000 is designed to run the length of the manure pit. It has three perches and can be installed with or without feed line, as required. Due to its low weight, the A-frame can be winched up to the ceiling during cleaning. The A-frame 5800 can be equipped with up to eight perches, two feed lines and one drinker line. This system provides full flexibility to meet your specific stocking requirements.
Feed is supplied by the well-proven Big Dutchman chain feeding system.
- the Champion feed chain distributes feed rapidly and evenly throughout the entire house;
- the maintenance-free 90° corner ensures a trouble-free feed circuit;
- additional perching is available thanks to a tube above the trough that prevents soiling of the feed below;
- the rugged plastic legs have a long service life, even when placed in the litter;
- the combination of suspended and standing troughs makes it possible to winch the system up towards the ceiling for cleaning purposes;
- durable and solid technology that has been proving its worth for many decades.
In order to provide the layers with clean and hygienic drinking water, we recommend using nipple drinkers. Nipple drinker lines can be suspended from the ceiling or stand on legs. Large or small drip cups beneath the nipples ensure that the manure remains dry.
Manure belt system NATURASunrise
Big Dutchman can now offer its customers the new manure belt system NATURA Sunrise, which is easy to monitor and to manage.
In contrast to manure pit systems, NATURASunrise has manure belts that are installed below the drinker and feed lines. These belts collect the manure and remove it from the house at regular intervals, thus reducing ammonia emissions and creating a good climate inside the barn.